Apparently it is. See, this fancy graphic proves it!
Courtesy of our friends at the Brady Campaign to Obfuscate Gun Issues. Maybe they're just bored, and thinking up clever new schemes to stoke the flames of the anti-gun movement is a fun challenge. How about a run down:
1. Handguns? Blech. Ban handguns.
Result: Worked in Canada (sorta), UK, etc. Didn't hold in the USA. Dang!
2. Cop Killer Bullets? Blech! Ban 'em!
Result: No such thing. Only got one major Hollywood movie
out of it. Argh!
3. X-ray-evading Plastic Glock pistols? Yack! Ban 'em!!
Result: No such thing. Lots of plastic, but lots of metal too. Didn't even get a movie out of it. Well, shoot! (so to speak).
4. Blood of "The Children" flooding the streets. Ban guns!
Result: "Children" were 37 year-old gang bangers. Mostly died out. Rap music became too commercial, lost G-edge.
5. Assault Weapons? Blech blech blech! They're so EEEVIL! Ban 'em! Sorta!
Result: Mag price jump. "Whatdya mean I can't have a flash hider??" Then ten years later: "Free at last!"
6. Assault Weapons Ban Repeal? Blood in the streets! AK-47s and UZIs! Kill Kill Kill! Don't repeal it.
Result: They didn't, it just expired. No blood in the streets. Double dang!
7. .50 cal Sniper Rifles? They'll shoot down airplanes! Foot long bullets will travel to the earth's core and cause global earthquakes! Ban 'em!!!
Result: Nobody ever killed or hurt by a civilian-owned .50 BMG, except in erroneous news reporting, where a guy was shot TWICE! in the CHEST! and lived. Uh huh.
8. .50 cal Sniper and Assault Weapons are Terrorist's Weapons of Choice! (TWoC, not to be confused with CWOC, or Criminals Weapons of Choice)! Put Mahmood on the list! No list??? Well, make a list, then Ban 'em!
Result: Terrorists use bombs and airplanes etc. Non issue. Thppppt!
9. Nobody is buying our crap! Solution: Rephrase! "Sensible Gun Laws." Who could oppose that?
Result: Americans not stupid. Relabeling nonsensical propositions as "sensible" didn't pass muster. Fudge!
10. Triangle of Death? Heh heh heh. I mean Yeeearrrgh! Throw 'em all in jail!
Result: Rank amateurs stepped on the ATF's pee-pee. Big no-no. Turns out most dealers follow the law to the letter. Don't know final outcome exactly, but this one will fizzle out, too.
Here's my prediction for what's coming from the BC: Go back to what's tried and true: The Slippery Slope. Just need to start higher. We were on the slope, but somehow the gun nuts got some traction. Start over and keep it well lubed. Maybe go back to "Nobody NEEDS 364 guns. Darn it, that's an Arsenal! What if the terrorists had an arsenal? Only criminals need an arsenal. Blood will run in the streets if private citizens have arsenals! Ban 'em!"
So there we have it, it'll all start again at the top, the new top, every proper gun-nut's worst nightmare: Arsenal Control.
Please provide your own predictions, this could be funny. Maybe we'll get an entry on tradesports: "What will the Brady Campaign cook up next?"