Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Big Trip: Home + Odds and Ends

I made it back Saturday night, took it easy on Sunday, and then spent the better part of yesterday contending with the household aftermath of a husband living on his own for four weeks. I think the real reason God wants people to marry is that a man living on his own constitutes a major health hazard. (Hubby deserves credit for keeping the cats and plants healthy and alive, though.) And the real reason married men live longer? Because when the wife is home they eat something other than cold Dinty Moore and Domino's Pizza. Heh, poor guy.

Good trip overall. Had some car trouble along the way: a flat tire in Vancouver, which cost me $356 USD to replace at a Mazda Canada dealership (their roadside service tows to the nearest dealership) and three nearly bald tires plus a bent wheel in Laramie (cost: $450 for four tires; I really got ripped by Mazda Canada). Saw friends and family in Santa Cruz, Seattle, Vancouver, and Oregon. Spent a total of four weeks, 5000 miles, and 12 states + 1 province in this



which is covered with bugs from nine different states. I like my little convertible, but all I could think about on the way home was how much I want a Ford F-150.

For some inexplicable reason I decided to start my low-carb diet just before the return trip, and all I can say is that I will never even look at another Slim Jim again.

The semester starts again tomorrow. Instead of teaching my own class, I am assisting my advisor with his mega-astronomy-101 classes. We have 440 students. This is my last year in the Ph.D. program, with graduation slated for the spring. I think I'm becoming institutionalized. Not ready to leave academia and face the real world.

Carnaby and I took my new heretofore never used Springy .45 to the range in Seattle, and since I'm too lazy to post a range report I'll just say it's snazzy. Nicer to shoot than my previous Springfield Commander. Carnaby retooled the trigger for me, so I'll hit the range this week and maybe issue a real report (mit fotos!)

By the way, I missed the opportunity to visit at least three really nice bloggers along the way (Kevin in Tucson, Mr. Completely in northwest Washington, and Russell in Utah) and am really bummed about that. If I ever end up in any of those areas again, I hope we can arrange a visit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I told a professor as I was preparing my documentation to qualify for graduation that I was tired of school and ready to go out into the real world and make some real money. I will never forget his sagacity:

"There is no real world. But there is real money!"

8/28/2007 9:52 PM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Heh, I'm sure that's true for most professions. Money is the main reason most graduate students are in a hurry to finish. But my husband has a good-paying job, so that's not my problem. The "real" part of the world I don't want to face is set hours and being chained to an office. But if I get a faculty position somewhere, then not much will change from how it is now. :-)

8/29/2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Glad you're back in one piece!

And drop me a line next time you're passing through.

8/29/2007 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, let me get this straight. Hubby is in peril because left to fend for himself, all he eats is Dinty Moore and greasy cardboard, but on an epic road trip, you don't pay attention to your tires? Maybe marriage is kind of a two way deal.

I'm glad you had a great trip, I've enjoyed reading keeping up on your progress. Perhaps before your next big trip, you should get your car serviced in advance, and also, pick up a couple of bags of monkey chow for the hubby.

From last year, http://www.angryman.ca/monkey.html

9/02/2007 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home