Sunday, August 05, 2007

e-Postal for August 2007 - Point Shooting

It's my turn to host the e-Postal, and I've been thinking about the whole "point shooting" concept. That is, if I understand correctly, you just point the gun at the target and shoot, without ever properly acquiring the sights.

Now before everyone goes off in a huff, I'll include two stages, a point fire stage, and a sight fire stage, so we can see what is the difference in results between the two methods. So here's the proceedure:

UPDATE: DATES: Like, I dunno! Probably just the month of August. How about everyone get their scores/targets to me by September 3, for your shooting pleasure. :)

FIRST STAGE: POINT FIRE

1. Distanc: 7 feet. With pistol in low ready, eyes on the target, bring pistol up to target, always eyes on target, not on sights, and fire in controlled but rapid succession, one shot at each of the three bulls on the target in any order, bang! bang! bang! No more than 1 or 2 seconds between shots.

2. repeat step one with a new target.

SECOND STAGE: SIGHTED FIRE

1. Distance: 21 feet. Repeat steps 1. and 2. but use your sights.

THIRD STAGE: CONTROLLED FIRE

1. Distance: 21 feet. Repeat steps 1. and 2. of the point fire routine, but go as slow as you like.

Distance for all three stages is to be 21 feet.

Classes:

1. one class for all centerfire pistols with iron sights. This is a self defense-oriented match, so lets see how the performance looks for the various guns. Enter any gun you own one time per shooter, for as many shooters as you like.

2. one class for rimfire pistols. They're just easier to shoot, so they get their own class. And they aren't particularly viable for self defense etc. so we'll keep them seperate.

3. well also have an open class where you can use anything that doesn't fit 1. or 2. above (optics, rifles, whatever.)

Scoring: Each bullet scores according to the ring it is closest to toward the center of the bullseye it hit. Notice on the target that the 10 is for a shot touching the black center of the bullseye, the 9 is for the second ring, etc. A shot entirely outside of any bullseye scores a zero. Only one bullet can score per bullseye, so if you hit a single bullseye with all three shots, only your best shot scores.

Add up your scores individually for the three stages, and then add up the total. We'll see who wins each stage, and who wins overall.

Enjoy!

Oh yeah, go here to download the target.

UPDATE: Whoops, forgot to mention where to send pics of targets and scores: email me at carnaby_fudge AT hotyouknowwhat.com, with email title "August E-Postal Results"

UPDATE 2: RULE CHANGE!

Seems my understanding of point shooting was more than a little on the bunk side. We will now pull the distance for stage 1 into 7 feet, instead of 21 feet. Please see here for an explanation of point shooting, if you don't already have the info in your noggin.

H/T: Hell in a Handbasket.

11 Comments:

Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Here we go!

8/06/2007 4:16 AM  
Blogger Carteach said...

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/

101 points, with all the shooting from 25 feet. I missed the rule change, but I doubt it would have made a huge change.

My first three point shoot targets
shocked me so badly that I muffed the last three.

I shot mine with experimental hand loads, not my usual target loads.

8/06/2007 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps I missed it, but what are the dates this match runs thru?

Thanks

Merle

8/06/2007 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rats!

Minimum shooting distance at my local range is 25ft. :-(

See ya'll next month.

Danno

8/07/2007 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OHH -MINIMUM SHOOTING DISTANCE!!!

I believe it is 7 yds at my range, but what the hell, I'll shoot it anyhow. A little more practice will do me good. Probably a lot of good.

Besides, that way I can compare my scores at the same distances & really see what point shooting does to me.

Merle

8/07/2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger Carteach said...

I just looked at that again..

7 *FEET* did you say??

Ahh..... be real careful here.
Shooting at 7 feet can be dangerous depending on the backstop. Bullets bouncing back are not unheard of.
I have been hit at 25 feet, hard enough to draw blood. Shucks, I have been hit by bounce backs further than that.

I notice that 'experts' often use frangible ammo at those close distances.

8/07/2007 7:02 PM  
Blogger Firehand said...

They do when using steel targets, or the backstop is something other than dirt(clear of rocks, of course). For a dirt backstop, or the stop is a ways behind the target, no problem.

I'm a bit out of practice at this, be interesting to see how far out.

8/10/2007 2:48 PM  
Blogger Carteach said...

I refired the match under the revised rules. Since I just got my Smith+Wesson 9c back from factory repair, I used that.

129 points, fired as exactly to the rules as I could manage.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/

8/14/2007 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sent you an E-mail last night, but it bounced back so I'll ask here.

I no longer have access to a scanner, so is there a snail mail address to send the targets to?

Thanks, and have a good one.

Merle Morrison
Newport News, VA

8/27/2007 5:44 PM  
Blogger carnaby said...

Hi Merle,

try the email again, carnaby_fudge@hotmail.com

I'll send you instructions when I get your reply.

8/27/2007 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, thanks.
I just tried again.

Merle

8/28/2007 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home