Saturday, January 03, 2009

Hockey!

Christmas is over, it's the new year, and it's time for me to lose 10 pounds of blubber. I hate running, I like biking, but not in the cold and rain, and working out at a gym sucks. It's been a while... since my kids were born, but it's time to play hockey! Fun game, pace similar to basketball, but with the ever-so-fun gearing-up phase (us gunnies/hunters know all about the fun of the gearing-up phase, which is why most action movies have them).

Well now I'm geared up and I've hit the ice for one pick up game, and one "stick-and-puck" session. Boy do I suck, but boy is it fun! The guys on the ice were nice to the old idiot, and I figure if I keep at it I'll be ok in a few months.

So there it is. If you need gear at the right price, either go to Canada, or head to Hockey Giant. You can't go wrong either way.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that brings back memories. I used to love to play pick-up hockey. Started at something like 5:30 AM, but it was worth it.

I remembered gearing up, grumbling the whole time about having to be up so early and wondering why I did it. Then I'd hit the ice and know exactly why.

I wasn't very good, but I was very fast. Unfortunately, I could either handle the puck or skate, but never really both.

Makes me sad that I sold all my gear ('cept for my skates. I can still use those when I take my daughters to the rink).

Have fun!

1/04/2009 6:00 AM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Cool beans!

Let it be known that your out-of-shape sister is also gonna start playing hockey. I start skating lessons next Saturday.

What position do you play, btw? I'll probably play forward, since I'd have to get really good at skating backward to play D.

1/04/2009 7:49 PM  
Blogger carnaby said...

Robb: you should get back into it. All the gear cost me just barely $200 including a decent pair of skates.

Stickwick: I don't play a position, I just hop on the ice and take over whatever position the guy coming off was playing. It's more fun to play anywhere/everywhere on the ice at this point. When I start playing in a league I'll probably play left wing (oh the irony). :)

1/04/2009 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home