Thursday, November 13, 2008

Continuing with the theme of petty things that irritate me, because I don't have anything substantial to write about

This morning on one of my favorite blogs, I read "I just threw up a little in my mouth" for the six-hundredth time. If you're a regular user of this phrase, I implore you to stop. It's not original. It's not funny. It's not a clever way to get your point across. It's a stupid way to announce to readers that you're in possession of a stale wit. Knock it off.

For other tired/cliched/overused and generally annoying words and phrases, see also: issues, awesome, amazing, breathless, impactful, pwned!, douche, douchey, douchebag, douchebaggery, asshattery, (blank)ery, mmkay, my bad, going green, down time, that's all kinds of (blank), I don't care who you are that's funny, stepping up to the plate, get your (blank) on, I could care less.

Update: Carnaby reminded me of a phrase that will never wear out its welcome: "Sit on it, Malph." Timeless. Incidentally, thanks to Uncle and Tam for the extra traffic.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can have my cliches when you pry them from my... oh, never mind.

11/13/2008 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...in regards to, irregardless, go girl...

11/13/2008 12:09 PM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Stop the insanity!

11/13/2008 12:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What about:

Unclear on the concept
Evolution in action
That's what I'm talking about!
It's about time!
This is a job for [blank]
Where is [blank] when you need him
[blank] is rolling over in his grave

11/13/2008 1:07 PM  
Blogger Matt G said...

I would refer you to the Banished Words List, with its excellent history of 3 decades of terms and phrases we're tired of.

11/13/2008 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, I'm sickened by ____pundit.

It's just not original or amusing or even remotely witty.

What?

Oh.

Nevermind.

11/13/2008 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know what I ate earlier. I really did just throw up a little in my mouth.

11/13/2008 3:08 PM  
Blogger carnaby said...

Maybe we could rephrase that as a "barf catch" or something like that?

11/13/2008 3:13 PM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

I prefer "pre-ejectile regurgitation."

11/13/2008 3:16 PM  
Blogger Tam said...

Heh.

11/13/2008 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home