Monday, November 10, 2008

Damn the lights!

What is with this fad with super-bright lights? First it was the pupil-searing headlights on new cars, and now these excruciatingly bright house lights are popping up everywhere. I'm ready to declare war on my neighbors for installing gazillion-watt lights on every conceivable part of their houses -- front stoops, back stoops, side walkways, garage doors, and wherever else they can flood the night with these supernovas-in-a-socket. Why is this necessary? Can no one can tolerate a little darkness anymore?

4 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

I have no idea. Bugs me too. I like the dark at night.

Maybe it's fear that drives people to light up everything with flood lights? Fear of the unknown, fear of not being to protect one's self? Maybe not, but it seems to me the weaker a community makes itself, or allows itself to be weakened, does a whole lot more of whistling past graveyards.

11/11/2008 8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found you via rachellucas.com. You have NO idea how much I relate to this post. I love being able to see the night sky but can't because of an inconsiderate neighbor's TWO HUGE spotlights. They're the kinds of spotlights you normally see in a football stadium, lighting the field, except these blast in a 360. Selfish, oblivious people, I tell ya.

11/12/2008 4:03 PM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

I think you're right, Russ. People probably do feel less secure.

Hi dogette, welcome. That's exactly what I'm talking about, and I guess it isn't just my neighborhood.

I'm an astronomer, so I really miss dark skies. Unless I'm looking at the Moon or a bright planet, there's really no point in hauling the telescope out to the back yard anymore.

(And you reminded me, I need to stick Rachel's blog on the blogroll!)

11/12/2008 4:30 PM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

At our complex it's for security and liability coverage, but they're not THAT bright and the trees absorb the cast-off.
It's great to have a bright light in your pocket though. I have a 3-cell Surefire light that will effectively blind an attacker or a nuisance animal.

11/13/2008 4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home