Sunday, November 02, 2008

Halloween

Ye gods, I hate Halloween during election season. Is it just me, or did every office party have someone dressed as Sarah Palin?

Halloween this year seemed subdued. I think it's the impending election, which is scary enough -- I get the sense people were filled with genuine dread this October, instead of the fun manufactured dread of the holiday. Normally my neighborhood is brimming over with kids in costumes, and at least half the houses on our block are decorated. This year, two houses put up decorations, and there were no kids on our block. Not a single trick-or-treater, according to my husband who stayed home that night.

I wasn't in the Halloween mood, so I went to the opera instead. It was my all-time favorite, Dido and Aeneas, but even that wasn't a respite from the election. This particular show was a reinterpretation of the ancient Carthaginian story in "Goth" style. Whatever, nobody goes to an opera for the story. After the first act I was all settled in and really enjoying myself. Then the second act starts, and we're all waiting for the arrival of the conniving sorceress who deceives Aeneas, but in this interpretation the sorceress is... dressed in a red skirt-suit, with glasses and "the hairdo." The thing is, I wouldn't have been any less disappointed if it had been Hillary. This kind of crap takes an audience out of the experience when it's unexpected. But most of all, I just hoped it wasn't foreshadowing some evil new form of live entertainment: the modern, political opera.

I hope y'all had a more enjoyable Halloween than I did. Can't wait to see what the Christmas season is going to bring.

3 Comments:

Blogger NotClauswitz said...

It was quiet. At 50+ we don't dress-up and go out anyhow, and we didn't have an trick-or-treat'ers.

11/04/2008 10:39 AM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Quiet is good.

11/04/2008 12:38 PM  
Blogger Ed Darrell said...

" . . . did every office party have someone dressed as Sarah Palin?"

No, no, that really was Sarah Palin. Only Dick Tuck knows how I know.

11/15/2008 5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home