Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Book Meme: Carnaby's List

Here goes:

1) A book that changed my life: The Key to the Sciences of Man by D.G. Garan. Fascinating book. After reading this, all vice became excruciatingly boring.

2) A book I've read more than once: The Founainhead by Ayn Rand.

3) A book I'd take to a desert island: I agree with Stickwick here, The Bible.

4) A book that made me laugh: If we're allowed repeats, then again The Fountainhead. It cracked me up. Otherwise, anything by P.J.

5) A book that made me cry: Uh, I can't think of any. Probably closest was in my youth when I read John Gardner's Grendel.

6) A book I wish had been written: The Adventures of Lionel Smegma.

7) A book that should never have been written: The Sword of Shannara etc. by Terry Brooks. Booooring.

8) A book I'm currently reading: All the Shah's Men by Stephen Kinzer. Fascinating book about the history of Iran and how interventionist foreign policy really screwed things up for us there. Recommended to me by my Iranian labmate.

9) A book I'm planning to read: Some C.S. Lewis. I don't know what it's called, but there's supposed to be a good one about the only guy who ever gets out of Hell, or something like that.

10) My top 5 fiction list, for your reading enjoyment: 1. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand), 2. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas), 3. Shogun (James Clavell), 4. LOTR (J.R.R. Tolkien), 5. The Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis).

2 Comments:

Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

I assume the up-cracking inspired by The Fountainhead was not so much with respect to the subject matter, but with some of Rand's characterizations?

Lois Cook was my favorite: "... toothbrush in the jaw toothbrush brush brush tooth jaw foam dome in the foam Roman dome come home home in the jaw Rome dome tooth toothbrush toothpick pickpocket socket rocket ..."

8/30/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger EgregiousCharles said...

The C.S. Lewis book I think you're thinking of is the The Great Divorce. It's a fictional account of people from Hell (before the judgement) visiting Heaven. It's not a speculation about what the afterlife is actually like (as it makes clear twice), but a way to illustrate the choices we make for Heaven or Hell.

9/08/2006 3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home