Thursday, September 15, 2005

Dilemma

Hubby and I live in Texas, where the quality of living for the cost is exceptional. On a modest income we are able to afford a great home, nice cars, and all sorts of comforts (like the ever-growing firearms collection). The political and spiritual climate in Texas is to our liking -- good environment for our future children, not to mention that we can afford for me to be a stay-at-home mom for the first few years (extremely important to me). Also, we plan to homeschool, and Texas has virtually no regulation. The bad things about being here: I HATE heat. This is a huge issue for me. I was raised in Northern B.C., and prefer cold weather -- I live in a constant heat-induced state of depression. Even worse, I am thousands of miles away from my family and closest friends. When we have children, they won't get to see their relatives as often as I would like.

So here's the dilemma. Hubby got a lead on a very good job in the Pacific Northwest, which would be a dream come true except for the fact that we would be moving to Hippie Heaven, doubling our cost of living, and putting up with a lot of homeschooling red-tape.

What to choose? Family, friends, comfortable weather, along with liberals and a so-so lifestyle, orrrrr.... isolation, nonstop heat, along with conservatives and a very comfy lifestyle. Non-issues: gun laws are approximately the same in both states; no income tax in either state. I'm leaning towards family/coldness/liberals/squalor, hubby's gunning for isolation/inferno/conservatives/opulence -- this is gonna be one tough decision. Homeschooling might be the tie-breaker.

2 Comments:

Blogger Francis W. Porretto said...

Not long ago I faced a similar choice. It wasn't as stark as yours -- I live and have always lived on Long Island, and the job was in Seattle, so the change in cost and ambiance wouldn't have been cataclysmic -- but it gave me pause. The salary was more than twice what I was making at the time, so it was hard to keep a level head over it.

Eventually I turned it down. I asked myself, "What would that salary buy me in Seattle?", and then went on to ask, "What does [my prospective employer] think HE'D be buying from me?" The scales tipped back toward the old homestead, and I declined the offer.

Have I ever regretted it? Several times, but always briefly. There's value in striking deep roots and leaving them in place. I have to remind myself of that now and then, of course; for example, when the property tax bill arrives or I'm caught in traffic. But there are some decisions one should make and leave made.

9/19/2005 2:30 PM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Thank you, Francis. I appreciate the thoughts.

The prospective job is in Seattle, just as yours was. Maybe I should remind myself how much I detested soggy weather when I lived in Vancouver.

There is also the ever-widening cultural divide to worry about, and Texas is a relatively safe place for a conservative Christian family.

I feel the scales slowly tipping south...

9/20/2005 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home