Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Lunar Real Estate

Rusticus at Solarvoid asked in the comments of my previous post about my Moon property. First, let me clarify. The property is in my husband's name, but community property laws 'n' all that. Anyway, last Christmas I was looking for a unique gift for my dad, who pretty much has everything he wants/needs, and I remembered reading that you could pay to have a star named after someone. So I went to Google to look for it, but found the Lunar Registry instead. It looked legit, so I bought Dad and Hubby each their own chunk of Moon. You get to choose the region yourself and everything. Here's the nifty part: purchasing the property automatically grants you Lunar citizenship and drilling/mining rights on your property (up to one mile in depth)!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So, you buy the property online, then in about a week you get your deed, a declaration of your citizenship, assorted information, and a satellite photograph of your property. Property is purchased in units of acres, and the price ranges from about $25 - $40 per acre, depending on the location. Choices include: Bay of Rainbows, Lunar Alps, Sea of Tranquility, Taurus Mountains, and several others.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It could really be worth something some day, you never know. But whatever the case, it makes a unique and super-fun gift.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very cool!

And more practical than star named after someone because there is an off chance that their great-great-great grandkids can sell the acre to some huge corporation so they can hurry up and start stip mining the dead ball of dust. ;)

8/11/2005 8:02 AM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

I hope we're strip-mining the Moon long before that. I want to exploit my property rights ASAP!

8/11/2005 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earth First! We can stip mine the other planets later!

8/11/2005 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home