Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Of Texas, Guns, Du Toit's and Things

I had the strangest dream last night. In the dream, I was visiting Stickwick and her husband in Texas. We were going to go hiking, so I was trying to pick out a carry rig. My brother-in-law had a fancy shoulder rig I was trying out, but once I got the thing on, I couldn't figure out how to get it off again.

Somehow I ended up outside, and who should drive by, but our own gunblogger supremo, Kim Du Toit. I wave, and he stops! He comes up and says "Hi," and I tell him I'm "carnaby fudge" and he sorta recognizes the handle. The really strange thing is that he's lost a lot of weight and is at least 6'8" tall. Very weird. We then step into a strange dive for a bite to eat and to discuss gun matters, and it just starts to get weirder from there. I don't really remember anything else.

Well, there it is.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Management said...

I think we should all try not to read too much into it.

:)

Otter

10/05/2006 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments about a possible draft over at Kims site leave me cold. i have at times stopped by here on my blog travels, but no more. You, sir, are more dangerous that a liberal in my book, and i'll be damned if i EVER grace you blog again.

You enjoy and use the freedoms other DRAFTED men paid for with their blood, but are not willing to let your son fight be drafted to fight if needed.

I could type for two hours about how wrong you and your father are about this, but you are not worth the effort.

10/06/2006 3:04 PM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

"anonymous"

You didn't read carnaby's comments very carefully. He said he would be proud for his son to serve in the military -- just not if he is forced to. Any country that needs to coerce its men to fight isn't worth fighting for.

Sorry you feel the way you do, but as the saying goes, don't the the door hit ya...

10/07/2006 9:14 AM  
Blogger carnaby said...

Anonymous,

I'm very proud of and thankful for those who have defended our country. If you'd like to discuss the draft, I'd be happy to oblige, but you aren't going to change my mind just because you disagree with me. I'm open to the possibility that I am wrong.

Because I disagree with the draft does not mean I disagree with those who are drafted. WWII, most did not mind being drafted, it was used to make the sign up process more efficient, no? For an unpopular war, of questionable purpose/validity, why should those who disagree with the war be FORCED AT THE POINT OF A GUN to fight, kill and die?

This is where freedom of association comes in here in the USA. If there's a war that you think needs fighting, you are free to not associate (and should be free not to do business with, etc) those who don't step up to the plate. And the converse is true also. I don't want my son forced to fight some war based on lefty bullshit that might show up down the road. It's only fair that other's sons are not forced to fight for what they might consider my right wing bullshit either.

But like I said, I'm open to discussion. My initial reaction to the draft is pretty knee-jerk. I know that. But having a knee-jerk reaction in return doesn't help much.

10/07/2006 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home