Monday, January 02, 2006

Firearm Sound Suppression

In case you've ever thought about it, and I certainly have, firearm sound suppression is neat. And it turns out that the suppressors are legal in 35 states, Washington being one of them (I was worried about that, since full auto weapons are illegal in Washington).

Anyhoo, that website linked above has lots of interesting info about sound suppression. Check out their FAQ. Sorry, Uncle, Glocks are not so good for suppressors. Berettas are pretty good. But the devices ain't cheap.

My greatest concern about self defense with a firearm is that there's a good chance I'd have to use the firearm indoors, and my ears would be toast from that. I already suffer from irritating tinnitus and I am paranoid about it getting worse. Of course, the government is not, and so I have to pay a lot of money not just for the silencer, but an additional $300 in fees and whatnot to get approval from the government. Yeargh! No silencers for me for a while. I guess I'll just strap on the ol' hamburger earmuffs* whenever my wife hears a bump in the night.

*No pictures available, so I'll just post the transcript:
Homer decides to seek help from Springfield's scientific community. At Professor Frink's laboratory, the professor loads Homer down with a stack of books.

Frink: And these should give you the grounding you'll need in thermodynamics, hypermathematics, and of course microcalifragilistics, moodavit.

Homer: Look, I just wanna know how to invent things. Tell me!

Frink: Eh, all you have to do is think of things that people need, but don't exist yet.

Homer: You mean like an electric blanket-mobile?

Frink: Uh, well, possibly ... or, you could take something that already exists, and find a new use for it, like ...

Homer: Hamburger earmuffs!

Frink: Eh, well, I suppose that would qualify ...

Homer: Thanks, sucker!

Frink: Wha, oop ... all right, just stay calm, Frinkie. These babies will be in the stores while he's still grappling with the pickle matrix! Gyvinblayvin!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Completely said...

The last I heard owning a silencer in Wash. was legal, provided you did all the paperwork and paid the money. It is my understanding that you cannot install it on a firearm and use it, you only get to own it!!!

....Mr. C.

1/02/2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger carnaby said...

What? Well that's pretty stupid. Makes lots of sense.

1/04/2006 5:58 AM  
Blogger The Management said...

Also... calling it legal is not quite the same thing as accessableerent things. Getting a Class 3 license is a super duper pain in the butt now-a-days. Plus it's expensive.

Otter

1/05/2006 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home