Monday, May 30, 2005

Thank a Vet

Kevin at The Smallest Minority has a good reminder for us all on this Memorial Day: thank a vet.

Memorial Day is a day to honor the fallen, but it should also be a day to honor those who are alive but have sacrificed a very important part of themselves that they will never get back -- peace of mind.

I don't know that soldiers who engage in combat ever really recover. My husband is about as tough as they come, but he has emotional/psychological wounds from his experiences in war that will never heal. He pushes them way, way down, and most of the time he is able to live with them. Sometimes not. He will never really have peace in this life, and to me, this is as much of a sacrifice as any person can make without giving his life completely.

Just writing about this makes me feel like a big, spoiled, sheltered brat and I'm going to go now and give hubby a big hug and kiss and let him know how much I appreciate him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home