Sunday, January 29, 2006

Range Report: Savage .300 Win Mag

Well, I got the rifle to the range finally. It was bore sighted before I went, and I still couldn't hit the paper at 100 yards for my first couple shots. The bore sight was pretty far off. Once I finally got dialed to the paper the groups were coming in at 3-5 inches, not too bad for a noob. By the time I finally got sighted in, my shoulder was getting pretty sore, that thing packs a wallop. I'm looking for a good recoil pad now.

Anyway, good rifle. The accutrigger is awesome. Next trip out, I'll see what that thing can really do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

While I honestly believe that recoil is something you can learn to ignore, I believe that's only true up to a point. I can shoot 100 rounds of .30-06 off a bench, and not be tender the next day.

But .300 Mag - especially if it doesn't have a muzzle brake - I limit to about 20 rounds.

1/31/2006 6:41 PM  
Blogger carnaby said...

I ordered two boxes of "managed recoil" ammo to help extend my next range session. And a limbsaver recoil pad.

That oughta help. The managed recoil stuff drops the .300 win mag from around 3500 ft-lb to under 2500 ft-lb at the muzzle. I'll still shoot lots of full power loads, but this way I can work a little more on trigger control and so forth :)

1/31/2006 8:25 PM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Off the bench is the hardest recoil, can you try prone, shooting sticks, or a standing rest?

2/02/2006 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home