Monday, February 21, 2011

Amazing!

Ever notice how AMAZING everything is these days?

"My boyfriend is amazing!"

"That movie was totally amazing!"

"Your kazoo-playing is soooo amazing!"

Is everything really that impressive? Are our young people really that stunned by things that were considered only mildly interesting 10-20 years ago, or is it just reckless exaggeration? Is this a recent phenomenon or have I just started to notice it because I'm getting older?

Now that I think about it, everything was TOTALLY AWESOME when I was a teenager. So, does AMAZING constitute progress? Probably as much as AWESOME was an improvement on GROOVY.

(This pointless rant brought to you by a grumpy professor who normally likes goofy, young people well enough, but is AMAZED at how irritating over-usage of this word has become.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Russell said...

My daughter started using "Epic" to describe things.

I had a little chat with her and explained the word should be used only when something was epic, otherwise the word wouldn't have much meaning.

She toned it down, things are mostly "awesome" now. I'm okay with that :)

2/22/2011 11:39 AM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Oh, yes, "epic." Another misused/overused word, but more for the under-15 set.

3/07/2011 10:04 AM  
Blogger Russell said...

Yeah, she's 13, so fits will with that demographic. "Legit" is also on the rise, and of course I keep asking if it is too legit to quit.

No, that doesn't date me at all.

3/07/2011 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home