Tuesday, July 01, 2008

WTF?

Late last night I was driving a long, lonely stretch of highway to go pick up a friend, no one on the road for miles around, very dark, etc. At one point I see a set of headlights creep up from behind, and I start to get a bad feeling. They stop at an uncomfortable distance from my bumper and hang there for a while. Getting creeped out now. Then the car moves into the passing lane and slowly catches up to me and, matching my speed, just hangs there next to me. I can't see anything going on in the car -- which is a late-model silver Mustang with darkened windows -- and I'm seriously creeped out. No one else on the road but the two of us. I step on it to put some distance between us, but he catches up to me. By now I'm on the phone with my husband -- maybe the driver sees this and figures I'm calling the police, because he quickly passes me and gets off at the next exit.

I'm curious what y'all think of this. Was it just some idiot having a laugh trying to scare someone? Was I being cased for something? Any chance it was an unmarked police car? By the way, I did not have a weapon with me, which will never happen again. And husband says I'm not going out late by myself anymore.

P.S. Thanks to you, Mr. Creepy Driver, I'm signing up for a CHL class today.

6 Comments:

Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Does not sound good. Get the CHL, but always remember it's your mind that's the most dangerous weapon - your phone call was a part of that mindfulness.

7/01/2008 1:46 PM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Definitely. The weapon would be a last resort, but I sure would have felt better having one in the car -- and there was no excuse for not having one, as Texas law allows me to have a concealed handgun in the car without a CHL.

7/01/2008 1:58 PM  
Blogger alex. said...

Good wakeup call. I'm a scary looking dude (says my wife) who still resembles the steely eyed Marine grunt who graduated from Parris Island during the last century, and I don't navigate God's green earth without a firearm or two at hand. Neither should you. Seriously, the world is full of people who are as mean as a snake. Be armed, be alert, be ready, stay alive.

7/01/2008 6:20 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Congrats on the licensing class.

It's very unlikely it was an undercover car. Sounds much too strange an MO for a real LEO.

Either a stalker or a very bored person looking for a race.

7/06/2008 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An undercover cop may tail you for a while but not tail-gate you and certainly would not pull along side for a look. If they wanted a look, they would turn on the lights and pull you over.
Keep the doors locked, the phone handy and the gun in reach!
I had a pickup truck get to within 3 ft of the back of my Electraglide one night on a lonely stretch between San Antonio and Ft Hood back in the early 80s. I believe that the only thing that stopped me from becoming road pizza was unzipping my jacket and opening the flap on my M1912 Cav holster and letting their headlights dance off of the .45 inside. they backed off to a real respectable distance and took the first side road after that.

7/14/2008 10:27 PM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Geez, guys, these are scary stories.

My dad told me about this incident in the late 60s, where he was driving along at night in a remote area of eastern Oregon and some jerk started playing games with him on the road. Jerk would slow way down so that Dad would have to pass him, then he'd pass my Dad and pull in front of him and slow way down again so that Dad would would have to pass him again. Tired of this, Dad pulls off at a rest stop, and the guy pulls in the other direction and they're facing each other down. If either door would have opened on the other car, Dad was going to step hard on the gas and run him down. Fortunately, the creep backed up and left.

So what is it that these people are after? Are they fixing to run someone off the road and mug him? Just trying to terrorize people? It doesn't make any sense to me.

7/17/2008 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home