Sunday, March 19, 2006

Firefly Withdrawals

Hubby and I gorged on five episodes of Firefly this weekend -- the last three tonight.

Now it's over.

I feel sad, bittersweet, cast adrift, just as I did many years ago with the last words of The Return of the King still lingering in my mind or having gazed for the last time on the happy visages of Luke, Han, and Leia in Return of the Jedi.

The party's over. There ain't no more.

I feel like my best friends have packed up and moved away. Far, far away. The good ol' days are gone forever.

A friend has loaned me the first two seasons of Farscape to help me cope, but I have a feeling that it is to Firefly what Sword of Shannara was to The Lord of the Rings. Superficially appealing, but a mere shadow of the latter's inscrutable greatness. (I say this with the realization, of course, that Shannara came after LotR and Farscape did, in fact, I think, precede Firefly, but you get the idea.)

Some Firefly reflections...

Favorite episodes: "Trash" and "Objects In Space."

Favorite characters: Mal, Kaylee, Book.

Favorite moments: Mal kicking Crow into the ship's engine ("The Train Job"); Mal walking butt-naked onto the ship ("Trash").

Characters I most wanted to beat up: Saffron and Early.

Favorite River moment: Pretending to be Serenity in "Objects In Space."

Characters I most want to be alongside in a fire-fight: Jayne and Zoe.

Character most likely to have a spiritual conversion: Jayne.

6 Comments:

Blogger Francis W. Porretto said...

It's a wonderful series, all right. We can still hope for its return, or possibly for a few more movies. From what Joss Whedon has said, the big screen looks like the higher-probability route.

3/20/2006 2:39 PM  
Blogger The Management said...

Well, I just hope you were better off seeing it than not. I actually got to the point I wished I never watched the show. The characters were so well writen that they really did become "friends" in some sort. Around my house, my roommates and I still just randomly through in a Firefly when bored. We must have seen each episode 20 or 30 times.

"I'll be in my bunk."

Otter

3/20/2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I really liked Firefly too. And I have to disagree about Saffron: she's totally hot. So what if she's a teensy bit of a backstabber?

As for Shannara: I had the pleasure of chatting with Terry Brooks about 15 years ago, when he was a guest on a radio program. When I asked him whether he had taken inspiration from D&D or from LOTR (not accusing him of plagarism or anything like that, merely drawing inspiration) he hit the flippin roof. I swear you could hear the spittle hitting the microphone. He did not like the idea that perhaps Shannara didn't spring fully-formed from his own imagination without any sort of inspiration. If I had known he was going to react like that, then I probably would have called him a plagarist. Oh well, next time.

3/21/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

***contains spoilers***

Fran, I would have preferred a new series (or continuation of the old), but I'll take films, too. Having watched Serenity before watching the series was a bit weird, because I ended up liking Book and Wash so much in the series, but knew that they would die. It's hard to imagine what future shows/movies will be like without them.

Otter, I hear ya, but I'm still glad I watched it. Memories can be good, too. But I wish I had my own bunk on Serenity.

Ed, heh! Guess you hit a nerve. But I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be proud to admit that he was inspired by the brilliance of Tolkien. Think of how many more novels Brooks could've sold to legions of LotR fans listening to his show who were looking for another quest to join. Ah, well.

3/22/2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Oh, and Saffron? Can't stand the woman! She's a snake. I am joined in this opinion by other female fans. Male fans, on the other hand, seem to like her for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with her huge... tracts of land.

3/22/2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger Stickwick Stapers said...

Maybe "Inara" was intended as a derivative of "Inanna"? Seems fitting. (Speaking of Inara, she bugs me a little, too, but mostly because she won't admit that she's got the galloping red hots for Mal!)

You know, a major letter-writing campaign saved the original Star Trek from cancellation. Sometimes the execs actually listen to their customers. I wonder if someone from FOX is monitoring DVD sales and all the online chatter about Firefly...

3/22/2006 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Testing ...

<< Home